The Chicago Cubs started the season with a nice 3-1 start, but they have cooled off since, going 1-4 in the next five games, including two losses at the hands of the Milwaukee Brewers. Now, the Cubs will look to get back at Milwaukee, when they take their turn to be the road team in this series.
The Brewers are breathing down the neck of the Cincinnati Reds for early leadership in the NL Central, and a strong showing in this series against the Cubs could see them taking over the top spot of the division soon. Use this preview as your guide for MLB odds and expert predictions for all games in the series.
Be sure to check out for our Baseball betting odds and daily sports betting odds and lines at our online Bitcoin sportsbook!
Cubs vs. Brewers Series Information
- When: April 12-14, 2021
- Where: American Family Field, Milwaukee
- TV: MARQ (Cubs) / BSWI (Brewers)
- Radio: WSCR (Cubs) / WTMJ (Brewers)
- Live Stream: MLB.tv
- Cubs vs. Brewers MLB Odds for Game 1: Cubs (+131) / OU: 8.0
- Cubs vs. Brewers MLB Odds for Game 1: Cubs (+125) / OU: 7.5
- Cubs vs. Brewers MLB Odds for Game 3: TBA
Why bet on the Chicago Cubs to win the series?
- Game 1: Adbert Alzolay (0-1, 7.20 ERA, 1.20 WHIP)
- Game 2: Kyle Hendricks (0-1, 3.00 ERA, 1.33 WHIP)
- Game 3: Jake Arrieta (2-0, 2.25 ERA, 1.42 WHIP)
The Cubs start the series by sending Alozlay to the mound. The right-hander had already seen the Brewers earlier this season, albeit in a 4-0 loss at home on Apr. 6. Alzolay went five innings long in that start and allowed four earned runs on four hits while striking out four before getting pulled out.
Hendricks will take the mound in Game 2. He’s winless so far this season, and like Alzolay, had suffered a loss at the hands of Milwaukee in a series earlier this month. Hendricks could do better this time around, though, as he is 4-2 with a 2.90 ERA in 12 career starts at American Family Field.
To close out the series, the Cubs will give the ball to Arrieta, who is undefeated in two starts this year. Both of those wins were against the Pittsburgh Pirates, so this would be the first time that he sees the Brewers’ bats this season. Arrieta didn’t pitch against Milwaukee in 2020, but in 2019, he went 1-1 with a 3.86 ERA and posted a .204 opponents’ batting average in two starts versus the Brewers.
The Cubs aren’t hitting the ball well this season, but that doesn’t mean their bats will be anemic again against Milwaukee. Javier Baez has hit .286 with three homers and four RBIs in his last six games, while Wilson Contreras has gone .313 (5-16) over that same stretch. If Kris Bryant and Joc Pederson get their bats awake, this should be a much better series for Chicago’s offense.
Why bet on the Milwaukee Brewers to win the series?
- Game 1: Freddy Peralta (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 1.43 WHIP)
- Game 2: Brandon Woodruff (0-0, 2.45 ERA, 0.82 ERA)
- Game 3: Corbin Burnes (0, 0.73 ERA, 0.16 WHIP)
Peralta will be called upon to start again, this time to open the series against the Cubs. Peralta should be confident in his stuff, as he recently silenced the Cubs’ offense not too long ago. On Apr. 6, the Dominican righty held the Cubs scoreless for five innings, allowing zero runs and four walks while striking out eight in a 4-0 win.
Woodruff is also looking to dominate the Cubs for the second time this season. He has 1-hit Chicago in seven innings of duty in a 4-2 win on Apr. 7, but he didn’t pick up a win as the Brewers’ offense provided the winning runs when he was no longer on the mound.
Burnes has been sizzling this season to date. He has pitched back-to-back six-inning duties and surrendered just an earned run on two hits and issued a total of zero walks, while striking out 20.
The Brewers’ offense started slow, but it’s now picking up. They have just scored nine runs in each of their last two games to blow out the St. Louis Cardinals by a total score of 18-8 in those contests and 19-11 overall in that three-game series. Christian Yelich is hitting like an MVP again, having slashed .389/.542/.986 in his last six games, while Travis Shaw has also hit over .300 in his last five.
Cubs vs. Brewers MLB Betting Trends
- The Cubs are 2-0 in their last two games at American Family Field.
- The Cubs are 5-1 in their last six games away from Wrigley Field and against sub .500 teams.
- The Over is 5-0 in the Cubs’ last five road games against a team with a .500 or better record.
- The Brewers are 6-4 in their last 10 games against the Cubs.
- The Under is 7-3 in the last 10 meetings between the Cubs and Brewers.
- The Brewers are 4-1 in their last five games.
Cubs vs. Brewers Series Betting Prediction
It can be hard to trust the offense of the Cubs right now, but it could also be their turn to start righting the ship. As for the Brewers, they have already won a series this season against the Cubs on the strength of their pitching, and with their hitting getting hot of late, they could be a bigger problem to deal with for Chicago this time around.
*All odds stated are subject to change without prior notice.