Monchengladbach vs. Manchester City 2021 Champions League Odds and Preview
This is a matchup that has its history. Though history as only benefited one side actually. Nevertheless, Champions League has its moments of shock. Could this game be one of those moments?
Monchengladbach vs. Manchester City isn’t new to us when it comes to Champions League. This would be their fifth encounter. Their last encounter was during the 2016-17 season during the group phase. As of now, Manchester City has three wins in favor, with one draw, which occurred in their last match.
An interesting fact to point out is that they’ve met only during the group phase. But this will be the first they meet during the knockout phase. Also, they’ll be playing in Budapest, due to travel restrictions for the COVID-19 pandemic.
Could this change in favor of Monchengladbach? Or will Manchester City continue to reign supreme in the game series? Let’s a take a closer look at the matchup, along with the latest 2021 Champions League betting odds, preview and expert pick.
Monchengladbach vs Manchester City Game Info
- When: Wednesday, February 24th, 2021 | 3:00 PM ET
- Where: Puskás Aréna, Budapest, Hungary
- TV: Fox Sports / ESPN
- Live Stream: UEFA.tv
- Champions League Odds Odds: Monchengladbach +158 / 0.0 (-105) / Over 3.5 (+130) | Manchester City +143 / 0.0 (-116) / Under 3.5 (-164) | Draw +272
Why is Monchengladbach a safe bet in Game 1?
The last time this German squad was in the knockout round of the Champions League was 43 years ago, when it was called the European Cup. That game was against Liverpool in the semifinals during the 1977/78 season, which ended in a loss, 4-2.
For this season, they’ve done well enough to make it as runner ups for Group B. They could have lost that spot to Shaktar Donetsk, who also had the same amount of points as Monchengladbach. But due to stats such as goals scored and goals against, Borussia had the upper hand.
Current stats indicate Monchengladbach averaging 2.67 goals scored per game, with 1.50 goals conceded per game. Their expect Goals Conceded overall of 11.8 in the group phase makes it the highest within the 16 teams left in the knockout round.
- Form: WDWLD
- Latest: Draw, 0-0 vs Wolfsburg (02/14)
- Current Standing:: 7th place in Bundesliga
Why is Manchester City a safe bet in Game 1?
It’s the eight consecutive season in which Manchester City makes it to the knockout phase. This is the longest current run for an English team. They will be looking to make it to the quarter finals for a fourth straight season.
So far, their performance in the group was superb. They didn’t take any losses, but did take one draw against Porto in their second game. It’s obvious that this performance gave the top spot of Group C. By gaining 16 points, becoming one of the English teams with most points obtained in the group stage.
When looking at their latest stats, the average goals scored for them has been 2.17 per game. Regarding goals against, they average is 0.17 per game. They can pretty much keep a clean sheet.
- Form: WWWWW
- Latest: Win, 3-1 vs. Everton (02/17)
- Current Standing:: 1st place in Premier League
- Rúben Dias
- De Bruyne
Monchengladbach vs Manchester City Champions League Betting Trends
- Monchengladbach have only won two of the nine home games they played during the Champions League.
- Monchengladbach’s Goals Conceded average was 11.8 for this season’s group phase, the highest of the remaining teams.
- Monchengladbach’s striker Alassane Pléa has been involved in many goals than any other player in the group phase.
- Manchester City has won their last three away games in the Round of 16.
- Manchester City only conceded one goal during the group phase.
- Manchester City’s forward Ferran Torres has scored in five of the last six games.
Monchengladbach vs Manchester City Betting Prediction
I don’t think many much doubt on who might be the winner in this matchup. History as proven that so far. Manchester City is the top force to defeat right now in England and they swoop the group stage with ease.
Based on this season’s performance, Manchester City have it all to get the first win of this series. There’s no much room for doubt when picking the English squad. I see this matchup ending 2-0.
Check out our Bitcoin sports betting guides and news sections for more insights.
Remember to always have fun with all the action and keep yourselves updated with the latest sports news with our NitroBetting News.
*All stated odds are subject to change without prior notice.